Friday, February 13, 2009

The times they are a changin'

So today, I went with my brother while he picked up the engagement ring he plans to present tomorrow. I was thrilled to be able to be there and see it, but all the while I just could not help but think how wild it is. How crazy that in a few short days he will be on his way to being married and in just a few more days (let's hope) I will be a MOM!! I am still having trouble wrapping my brain around both of those life changing events. I still see him as being my little brother who is always coming into my room and asking to hang out. Always (by no fault of his own) making me completely insane. I've watched him get taller, more mature, more wonderful, supportive, and more amazing. But now, he will be getting married! That means he is officially not my little brother anymore. He will soon be moving away to finish school and become the surgeon we have all known he would become. He will have a wife and soon kids. It makes me proud, emotional and excited. Little brother gives ring to girl. Its surreal is what it is folks, that's fo sho.

And then there's me and L and a baby mere days away from making his appearance. That is more than surreal. It's just plain old crazy/scary/wild/insane/cuckoo. Thinking back to the year of Mona and all the trials and tribulations that came with it, I can hardly believe that our lives are about to completely change yet again.  And in a VERY different way.  I have nested, painted, acted like a crazy person, been grumpy, cried, eaten my weight in chocolate and finally think I may be ready.  As ready as two people can be for something that will alter our lives forever, that is.  The nursery has been painted twice, I have bought all the things I think I need (and probably don't) and the clothes are washed, folded and put into little tiny stacks of little tiny clothes.  We have hats, mounds of socks, teeny baby hats and mittens and the smallest diapers I have ever laid my eyes on.  Each day I wonder if it's THE day and if I have any idea what we are about to get ourselves into.  While I am sure that he is way easier to take care of where he is right now, I cannot wait to see what he looks like.  I can't wait to see those little feet that kick me in the ribs.  Those little knees I can see jutting out of my sides and that little heiney that sticks up in the air all the time.  I am so excited to meet him.


All that said, today I have been mulling over how life changes.  How one day we just realize we are adults( I hope that doesn't mean we have to act like it!!).  I have thought often during this pregnancy about how differently the world looks now. 
 I can't put my finger on what it is, how or why, but its different.  And I know that my brother is no little boy anymore either.  I am excited to watch him though and get to be a part of his life.  For that I am grateful. 

~m

2 comments:

JuJu said...

Oh, Griffin will sure enjoy reading this when he's older. I can't wait to hear all about how Will's proposal went down. (I hope she didn't read your blog prior to it all!! ha ha)
I love the picture. I hope those are Larry's arms, or else you're in need of a shave. :-)
xxx

lindler5 said...

you are so brave with the belly picture! it's beautiful!

my poor belly was not pretty enough to show the blog world!

much love -
ashley